Saturday, February 6, 2016

I'm Makin' Paper

For those of you who didn't know, I'm working at an accounting firm as an intern. I'll be done at the end of this month - then I'll be back to school for one more year. And let me tell you, work is exactly what older people say it is. For example, I never understood why anyone would be too tired to do anything after work. You sit at a desk for 8 hours, then you go home. You have so much free time to do anything because you don't have any tests/hw to do after 5PM. False.

You sit at a desk for 8 hours and your body melts as your brain melts with it. Then you get some coffee or food to revitalize you to keep working. On the way home, you sit in traffic which makes you more exhausted. By the time you get home, you need to take a mental break by laying on the couch. After that, you need to cook/eat dinner. Then you can do what you want - unless you get another food coma from dinner.

But I'm getting off topic. I've been thinking about the role of money in my life and how it should play in my life. And basically it came down to this: there's nothing inherently wrong with money. HOWEVER, it can tempt you in so many ways that will lead you down the wrong path.
"I don't mean it's sinful to make a lot of money. I think it's sinful to want to KEEP a lot of money." - John Piper
I've been blessed with a well-paying internship. But as John Piper says in the video below, it can almost be a curse. It's not a curse in the sense of money being evil. But it can be curse in how money can tempt you in so many wrong ways. I mean, the Bible says...
And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." - Matthew 19:23-24
So I've been trying to remind myself that money is temporary. To be wise with it, but not to hoard it selfishly to the point where it controls my life/behavior. I try to think about how Christ lived humbly and simply. And I want to do the same. I hope we all can be careful and wise about how we guard ourselves from the temptations of excess comfort and security in wealth.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Pages

Advertisement

Follow us

FOLLOW US @ INSTAGRAM

About Me

POPULAR POSTS

Copyright © Justin C. Ha | Powered by Blogger
Design by Blog Oh! Blog | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com