Wednesday, November 4, 2015

I'm a Prideful Person - And That's Not Okay.

If you remember, I wrote about a book I've been reading titled Wild at Heart. It has really challenged me to ask questions I never thought about.
What defines a man? Where does my heart lie? Where do I find my source of power and strength? What is my name (not literally, but spiritually/metaphorically)?
My biggest question at the moment is where I find my source of power and strength. More specifically, what things make me feel like a "man"?
Is it in my talents and gifts? Is it from my intellect? Is it from my ability to control my life? Is it in the number of likes and followers I have? Is it my ability to endure pain and show no sign of weakness?
Many of us just want to be worth something. We want the world to appreciate us for who we are. But it seems like the world has set standards on who we need to be in order to "make the cut". The world tells you all these things...
You must be able to be self-sustaining. Take care of yourself first. God helps those who helps themselves. You must create your own opportunities.
This is what the world has taught us. It has taught us how to be prideful. We have been conditioned to focus on ourselves and focus on receiving praise from the world. If you don't get followers, likes, favorites, shares, or views, then you're not worth anything. This has become the pattern of this world.
"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2
The world says you must trust no one and sustain yourself. You must do all the work. You're not worth anything until you gain the praise of the world. Keep working until you make it. But I'd like to argue otherwise.
“God opposes the proudbut shows favor to the humble.” - James 4:6
I can get caught up on how many likes and favorites I get on the content I post. I always think about whether or not people will like the photos or videos I post. And it feels good when I get likes. But they mean nothing if my motives are wrong.

If I'm doing photography and film for the sake of fame, then it's a wasted effort. I must do it for a greater purpose because people come and go. Sometimes people will support you, and other times they'll leave you.

If we can humble ourselves before God, then we'll get our biggest like. We'll get our biggest follower. That's all that matters. As you humble yourself, don't be self-deprecating. Don't deny the talents and gifts that you've been blessed with. Accept compliments and praise from the world. But remember to direct those praises up to the giver of all gifts.


If you like reading, then check out my friends' blogs!

Brian || Taylor || Hnou || Xing || Judy || Esther || Josh || Jenine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Pages

Advertisement

Follow us

FOLLOW US @ INSTAGRAM

About Me

POPULAR POSTS

Copyright © Justin C. Ha | Powered by Blogger
Design by Blog Oh! Blog | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com