Sunday, July 20, 2014

Childlike.

Last week, I spent a day taking my niece and nephew to watch How to Train Your Dragon 2. I want to share how a 9 and 7 year old challenged me to re-evaluate myself.

During the car ride, these two kids would not stop singing. And I don't mean that in a negative way. It was really nice to hear them sing praise songs. They were actually in tune most of the time. But what intrigued me was how they sang songs of worship so innocently, freely, openly, and accepting-ly.
"I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." - Luke 18:17
Some of you may be thinking, "kids are conditioned to do things like this" or "those kids are just doing what they're told: memorize bible verses, memorize songs, sing songs, etc." And you may be right. However, they also do these things without challenging it. They accept it as it is, and that's the amazing part.

Sometimes we forget how to accept things as it is. I'm guilty of challenging things all the time. It's just what the world teaches us. "Don't believe something until it is justified, reasonable, or proven". But that's just the opposite of what Jesus tells us to do.

I sin all the time. That's a fact. And I will keep sinning until I die. Every time I sin, I rebel against God. Of course, that's not something I want to do. I hate failing and disappointing God. I feel guilt, remorse, condemnation. But here's the strange thing. God doesn't tell you to do or feel like this. 

To my understanding, I don't think the Bible ever tells anyone to feel guilty or punish them self. God tells us to repent. Repenting with conviction and guilt are two different things. Repent comes from conviction, which is from the Holy Spirit. It's an urge to ask for forgiveness even though it may be the trillionth time. Guilt is NOT from the Spirit; it's from Satan.
 
When I sin against God, I can't but help to feel guilty. I want to punish myself and face the consequence of what I did wrong. I want to redeem myself for messing up. But that's the opposite of what God wants us to do. God wants us to accept the grace He has already given to us.

Christmas Day
Judah Smith puts it this way. Imagine children opening presents on Christmas Day. When kids open up a gift, they can't stop smiling, laughing, rejoicing, etc. NEVER will you see a kid say, "I owe you dad" or "Thanks for the gift! I'll pay you back later!" In the same way, we need to accept God's free gift of grace.

When you feel guilt or remorse, ask for forgiveness. Get back up and try again. Don't try to redeem yourself. When you try to "make-up" for your bad day, you're insulting the sacrifice of Christ. Basically you're telling Jesus, "Aye man, I appreciate all that you did for me, but I'm gonna add a little more to it so that I can become righteous." That makes no sense!

Accept Grace like a child. Embrace Grace like a child. When you do that, there is a sense of freedom. You are already victorious through Christ.
 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Pages

Advertisement

Follow us

FOLLOW US @ INSTAGRAM

About Me

POPULAR POSTS

Copyright © Justin C. Ha | Powered by Blogger
Design by Blog Oh! Blog | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com