Monday, May 19, 2014

Sonny.

Since January, I have had the privilege to have a penpal. His name is Sonny. This is the first time I've had a penpal. We talked throughout the semester, and he's quite a funny kid.

At first, I had no idea how to talk to an elementary kid. I'll be honest, I'm not good with kids. So I started asking the basic questions: what he likes to do, what's his favorite color, etc. Soon, it became so simple to relate with him.

Today, I got to meet with him at his school. We had some lunch together and got to play together at recess. I wasn't sure how competent kids are at the age. But surprisingly, he's a smart kid. The way he spoke and presented himself was so... professional and respectable. I don't mean to brag, but I saw a little bit of myself in him. He knew when to joke around and when to become serious and professional.

So we talked a bit about what he enjoys doing. He wants to be in the NFL as a running back. He enjoys fishing with his dad. He has a big heart and big dreams. He's a good kid. It made me remember how I was like then. We always dreamed big as kids. Nothing seemed impossible. And now reality has hit us with what we can and can't do.
"And he said: 'Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.'" - Matthew 18:3
Sonny reminded me of this verse. Who is society to tell us what we can or can't do? It is God who is in control of all things. We are not limited to what society accepts and rejects. Our Father in heaven dictates what is "successful" or not. As long as you trust in Him in all that you do, you'll be empowered to glorify Him in all that you do. Dream big for the kingdom of God. Don't be discouraged by the standards and responses of this world.

Sonny lives in an area where most kids don't finish school. I hope and pray that I will continue to stay in touch with him. I want to encourage to dream big. I want him to understand the love of Christ for him and his family. I want him strive to glorify God with the abilities and passion he's been given.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Pages

Advertisement

Follow us

FOLLOW US @ INSTAGRAM

About Me

POPULAR POSTS

Copyright © Justin C. Ha | Powered by Blogger
Design by Blog Oh! Blog | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com